Monday, August 5, 2013

Whither the W?



(17 years now)

I'm surprised at how much I was able to get done today.  I got a couple of items squared away and I have a larger item that is going to wait until after lunch.

Didn't see any of the games yesterday.  Part of this was due to being out and about, the other part was due to depression related issues. I think I'm going to need an upping of the dose of Pristiq I take, because I certainly had no get up and go.  In order to get this move done, I'm going to need some get up and go.  I wonder if that Red Bull stuff really gives you wings?

Not much of a suprise in the results.  San Antonio beat Tulsa and got a close win.  Coach Klopp is 0-4 in games decided in five points or less, and even though he's a big improvement over his predecessors, I'm wondering if he's really the guy to turn the shock franchise around.  If he can get to 10 wins, then his goal next year is the playoffs.  If he can't make that goal, then Tulsa should drop him and bring someone else in.

Los Angeles won nicely over Washington.  Harding stuck it to her former team.

Minnesota just keeps on rolling along.  16-3 on the year, third longest home win streak in WNBA history and another year of Lynxcess.  If they go to the finals, that's three straight years.  Detroit, LA and Houston are the only teams to go three straight years.

(* * *)

The guy I'm working with on the Historical Coaches Register wants to add a lot to the register.  I don't know if I'm really up to it but I'm willing to help out.  Unfortunately, I have a lot on my plate so any help is going to be piecemeal at best.

(* * *)

I've updated the WNBA Box Scores spreadsheet to a v 1.1.7.  We have now added conference standings.  The sheet is updated to the end of last night's games, so go and check it out.

(* * *)

The Chicago Tribune asked several writers from various newspapers what the future of the WNBA would be after Adam Silver takes over from David Stern as the commissioner of the WNBA.

Josh Robbins, Orlando Sentinel:  no, the WNBA isn't going way
Shandel Richardson, Sun Sentinel:  Silver should have the WNBA play the same time as the NBA
Ben Bolch, Los Angeles Times:  the WNBA will remain a fringe product
Philip Hersh, Chicago Tribune:  mentions the 24/7 website prediction, questions whether Silver has the same passion/power that Stern did - someone at Chicago Sky says that Silver cares deeply about the WNBA

My brief comments:

As for Richardson's comment, the WNBA will not play at the same time for at least two reasons - they don't want to piss off the NCAA women's basketball powers that give tacit support to the WNBA by playing the same time they do.  Furthermore, the WNBA fills arena space when the NBA teams aren't playing in the summer.

Robbins is right.  The WNBA isn't going away, and Bolch is also right.  We have a slight shifting of the terrain here.  The popular prediction used to be "the WNBA will fold within X years", but it looks like the new line of thinking will be "the WNBA will never be as popular as (fill in male sport here)."

Good.  All I care about is the WNBA surviving.  I don't give a shit about whether or not it is considered a "fringe product" by the sportswriter cognoscenti.  The print media hasn't given a damn about the WNBA for years and W fans have slowly learned how to return the favor.

Would we like to get on the front pages of the sport sections?  Of course.  But as long as 95 percent of sportswriters are guys and as long as 95 percent of the sport sections are devoted to guy sports, I don't see that happening.  So whether or not they consider the W a "fringe product" doesn't bother me, because they consider everything other than college football, the NFL, the NBA and major league baseball a "fringe product".  As long as we survive, they can keep opinionating,  

Hersh must have hunted hard for that 24/7 prediction.  He probably needed to find someone out there to predict the W's demise that wasn't a crazed blogger.  He would have settled for Debbie Schlussel, but only if he absolutely had to, which is one step above quoting that crazed guy walking the street who's wearing a sandwich board which predicts imminent doom.



No comments:

Post a Comment