Thursday, August 1, 2013

New York @ Washington



Yesterday, my wife and I went to Oriental Pearl, a great Chinese place in Chamblee for our 11th anniversary dinner.  We were talking about how at our wedding, we barely had a chance to eat - Ruth had gone crazy preparing the wedding and the order of the day was to keep the party moving.  (I'll always remember the Dulce de Leche Pina Coladas.)  Back in 2002, we got to the restaurant, had a quick meal, and then it was dance, dance, dance and say hello to everybody.

Now, we're trying to save some cash to get ready for the move that's going to take place on August 15th.  (That reminds me - change my work calendar.)  If you want to know what I'm doing on August 15th through 16th, it probably involves lifting boxes, opening boxes, and (fill in the verb) boxes.

(* * *)

So while I was enjoying won ton soup, barbecue pork fried rice and sweet sesame chicken, the first quarter of New York @ Washington was going on.  I missed the first quarter where Kara Braxton has some sort of ungodly shooting accuracy (or so they tell me) but I stayed for the rest.

The rest sucked.  Washington shot under 30 percent in the first half and decided to while away the time by chucking up no-chance 3-pointers in the second quarter.  It looks like the Mystics fans could smell the stench from miles around; the Verizon Center looked practically empty.  (The 6,711 in reported attendance must have been in the bathroom.)  They went 6-for-23 in the second quarter and 1-for-6 from 3-point range.

New York had 22 assists, Washington has 12.   The Libs scored 56 points in the paint and it was a horrible game to watch, a 2 on a scale of 1-10.   I managed to keep my eyes on the screen, if not necessarily processing the data.

Even so, Washington managed to tie it within the 4th.  When the enemy is shooting 36 percent and you're winning the rebound battle, that shouldn't happen.  Not exactly a testimony of New York Liberty dominance.

Let's forget talking about defense and points in the paint and look at more important matters, like:

* Why is Tierra Ruffin-Pratt's name spelled as RUFFIN_PRATT on her jersey?  Not a dash, but an underline.
* Samantha Prahalis watch:  2:44 played, 1 assist, 1 PF.
* They chatted with the new coach of the Washington Wizards (MNBA) during a lull in the action, which was pretty much the entire game.  He pretty much came out to support the women's team.  I wonder how often MNBA coaches/players are ordered to show up, like it's doing community service.  I'm sure that if Randy Wittman was one of those unfortunates who had a negative opinion about the W going into the game, then that debacle didn't move the meter any.

(* * *)

Have done some more work on the Historic Teams and Coaches Register.  I'm working with someone who has suggested that it be put in database form.  It sounds like a good idea, so I'll be working on that for a little while.

My article at Swish Appeal seems to be getting a nice number of hits.  I feel good about that.

Got some interesting news from a Twitter friend in New York.  Man, the things you learn about the world that you never imagined were possible.

(* * *)

Interesting article:  UW women's player faces charges in house party.  If this was Pat Summitt's team, Pat would not be "closely monitoring" the situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment