Sunday, August 11, 2013

Gone, Gone, Gone (Part II)

In the meantime, I've been a little busy.  During the weekend, a couple of my wife's friends (and by extension, my friends) dropped by to help us move.

The Big Moving Day is still scheduled as Thursday.  Last night's dinner was the last dinner served at our house, ever.  My wife will be packing the kitchen while I'm off to the New York @ Atlanta game.  The contents of the guest room - the bed and a large chest of drawers - have been given to our friends to take to North Carolina.

On Saturday, we held what Ruth calls a "lazy garage sale". It's basically a garage sale where the customer names his or her own price. We made about $300 and got rid of a couch.  That couch cost us $600, and we sold it for $80.  However, the coach has about six years of wear and multiple cat scratches.  We concluded that given the six years and the heavy wear and the cat scratches, we did pretty well, earning at least the present value of the coach.

We still have one huge desk to get rid of - a monster relic from the 1950s that no one, and I mean no one, has shown interest in.  The plan is that during Moving Day, we'll just put the desk on the corner and the first person that wants it can take it away.

This leads me to something that one of our North Carolina friends, Christian, told me.  He told me that when he was living in California, a friend of his was trying to get rid of a couch.  So he moved the couch out onto the curb, and posted a sign - "FREE COUCH".

Two days passed.  No takers.  So his friend went back outside, flipped the sign over, and instead wrote "COUCH FOR SALE, $100, INQUIRE WITHIN".

Four hours later, the couch was gone.  It got up and "walked away" without notice.   His friend didn't get $100 - even the sign was gone - but he did get rid of the coach, which is what he wanted.

(* * *)

While my wife and I were regaled by tales of missing/stolen furniture, I was forced to miss the Atlanta @ Indiana game.  Games don't take precedence over guests.  I can't understand how anyone could think otherwise.

I'm glad I didn't see it, because I'd be banging my head against the wall.  I'm not looking at the box score, but the Dream threw away the last quarter, outscored 19-9 in the final ten minutes.  The Dream is looking very, very vulnerable right now.

Oddly enough, today's New York @ Atlanta game has two teams playing on one day's rest, but in very different situations.  New York is coming from a game where they were probably not even competitive against Los Angeles at home, and now have to go to play against Atlanta which is undefeated at home. The Dream, meanwhile, are coming off an away game where they were competitive until that last final quarter, and are now in the comforts of home.

I think the Dream will win this one - but it will be close.  Let's go Dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment