Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A week's worth of catch-up

It's good to be back after a long vacay.  Even though it wasn't much of a vacay.  I think my wife was pretty disappointed in Miami that all of her old south Florida friends didn't flock to see her - then again, it's been ten years since she was down there.

As for Dallas, I got to experience a sort of a toxic group of people that have a sort of weird dynamic - one narcissist, one laid-back person and a Type A personality all trying to co-exist with each other. The Type A personality would get bossy, the narcissist would try to make everything about her, and the mediator would try to mediate, with the three egging each other on to some new kind of unhappiness.  I was glad to be out of Dallas.

Next was catching the final home game of the Dream season, Phoenix @ Atlanta.  We lost that one, making me wonder if I'm some sort of team jinx as my arrival back in Atlanta snapped a three-game losing streak.  (The write-up is here.) 

I enjoyed talking to Russ Pennell, the head coach of the Mercury.  He's animated, he looks you right in the eye, he doesn't give the impression that talking to you is some horrible burden.  I did get to experience his sharp side, though.  I pointed out that Phoenix has the most technical fouls in the league.  (Griner got one for a tete-a-tete with de Souza.)  He answered quickly, "Not with me.  Not with me.  That was the other guy." 

He was absolutely right.  But he segued out of that awkward moment into a discussion of his efforts to bring those technical fouls down.  It was an uncomfortable question, but it turned out to be a fantastic answer. 

I got the chance to relax, then come home on Monday for jury duty.  Jury duty was extremely uneventful - show up at the courthouse and wait.  After four hours of waiting they decided they wouldn't need me and go home.  They've definitely upgraded things since I was there - how long ago?  Four years maybe?  The benches have been replaced with comfortable seating, but you still have to wait.

I got home and then wrote up another article for Swish Appeal, this time about my nominee for the WNBA Coach of the Year.  Give me click love and see it here.

(* * *)

Here's my hypothetical WNBA ballot.  All over but sending it in.


Most Valuable Player

1.  Sylvia Fowles, Chicago
2.  Candace Parker, Los Angeles
3.  Nneka Ogwumike, Los Angeles
4.  Maya Moore, Minnesota
5.  Tamika Catchings, Indiana

Defensive Player of the Year


Tamika Catchings, Indiana

Most Improved Player

Shavonte Zellous, Indiana

Sixth Woman

Jantel Lavender, Los Angeles

All First and Second Teams

F  Candace Parker, Los Angeles
F  Maya Moore, Minnesota
G  Diana Taurasi, Phoenix
G  Lindsay Whalen, Minnesota
C  Sylvia Fowles, Chicago

F  Tamika Catchings, Indiana
F  Nneka Ogwumike, Los Angeles
G  DeWanna Bonner, Phoenix
G  Lindsey Harding, Los Angeles
C  Brittney Griner, Phoenix

Rookie of the Year

Elena Delle Donne, Chicago

Kim Perrot Sportsmanship Award

Alana Beard, Los Angeles

Coach of the Year


Pokey Chatman, Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment