Saturday, May 17, 2014

In Minneapolis with Doctor Who

Today is the third day that my wife and I have been in a Doctor Who convention at Minneapolis.  I haven't had the chance to see Stars @ Dream last night, because my outdated browser on my outdated Macbook (I've lost the disks and can't upgrade) will not show the game on Live Access.  I could see it on my iPhone if I wanted to, but that's a helluva way to see a game.  I won't be seeing Dream @ Stars tonight, either, and I miss it terribly.

Have read about Shoni Schimmel's performance.  Eleven assists is worth knowing about, although Griner dunked twice in her first game last year and never again since.  I'm hoping yesterday wasn't the high water mark of her performances.

If you're reading this, you've probably never attended a science fiction convention.  I wonder why science fiction fans dress in the schlubbiest way imaginable at conventions.  Thin t-shirts stretched over 350+ pound beer guts.  Neckbeards.  Suspenders that don't quite suspend.  Does this make me a shallow person pointing it out?  It probably does.

The high part of this convention - aside from meeting and being with old friends, which was our true reason for coming - was seeing Deborah Watling, a woman who played one of the Doctor's companions (Victoria) for one year in the 1960s.  She's a little wisp of a thing, a little old lady now.

I touched a Dalek (well, a home made Dalek).  I attended a panel on Doctor Who lost episodes which quickly devolved to the usual fan griping.  This should be expected, if you've had any experience with fans.

I've written a post at Swish Appeal about the success of women's basketball teams that manage to snag the #1 or #2 high school recruit in any given year.  It appears that the reception is generally favorable.  I'm glad.  Trust me, I know from years of fandom that all it takes is one bad experience to turn you off of something forever.  One critical comment drowned out by lots of positive ones?  I think I can live with that, that's better than you usually get in women's basketball fandom anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment